Sunday, June 24, 2012

Reunions

I saw my parents last month at my brother's wedding. While it was only 4 weeks ago, we've had so much going on that it actually feels like months not weeks since I saw them. But with only 3 1/2 days in the US with my family last month, it just wasn't enough. Not to mention I didn't get to see any of Josh's family nor any of our friends on that trip.
I'm not a big skyper. I like it but just don't like to have to sit in one place when I talk on the phone. The kids aren't into it, just don't have the attention span. So for the most part it's been a full year since we last saw our families and friends beyond Facebook pictures and my blog. My mom sends me pictures of herself taken with her camera phone and a full length mirror. We really just should Skype more.
But because we don't Skype or see each other real time all year it makes our reunion all the sweeter. Aidan actually said to me that he couldn't wait to run into my mom's arms at the airport. Every year I cry at this reunion. Just writing this I feel teary. In part because it is the sweetest sight a mom could see, genuine love from her child to his grandparent. And in part it's because I feel badly that we have taken the only grandchildren (on both sides of the family) away from our parents and we know how much all of them miss the boys. So it's a little bittersweet as well.

My mom was unsure about picking us up this year. It's a long story that I won't go into right now but in the end we decided to leave it up to Aidan. Because its Aidan that their presence means the most to. And when I asked him if it would be ok for us to have a car service take us to nana and papa's house instead he said that he really wanted them there (and he really wanted them to bring pizza which has become our tradition). And so the decision was made and they will meet us at Logan.

However, I could tell exhaustion had set in with Aidan when the reunion time came and while he was enthusiastic, it wasn't the run into their arms, everyone crying moment I expected.  I even was prepared with video.  But it was a very very sweet moment and Aidan immediately was set by my mother's side with a huge grin on his face.  They chatted the entire time in the car while Liam was low key after his puke fest.
Aidan and my mom
Today I had a chance to see a friend that came out to visit last year while we were home and happened to be finishing up a vacation on the cape yesterday and extended her time here so she could see us.  That is a reunion worth coming home for.  As is the one with my best friend tomorrow whom I can't wait to see.  And all my friends and family that I've got plans with over the next few weeks. 

Urs and me
Tomorrow is the next reunion for the boys.  Josh will be taking them to the Cape to see his parents, whom they also haven't seen in a year.  I can't wait to hear all about it and hope (Josh are you reading) that they take lots of pictures of their time together.  I know how much the boys miss all of their grandparents and aunts and uncles through the year and this is one of my favorite parts about coming back. 

And the boys still have to have a reunion with their friends.  We were going to stop in Attleboro today but instead, we decided to have dinner the four of us since the last time we had dinner as a family in the US was 2 1/2 years ago.  And it was the best dinner we'd had together in a long time so it was worth it.  So the reunion of the boys (more so Aidan than Liam) with their friends will be on Wednesday and I'm super curious to see how the relationships unfold.  Since Aidan is not a fan of skype and he's still too young to email or really chat on the phone, he's essentially been incommunicado for the last year with his friends.  I know they all remember each other, but what will the relationships be like?  The good thing is that they are boys and I think that boys just naturally form bonds easily and jump right back into friendships that have been on hold (in a sense) for a while. 

We're really looking forward to all these reunions in the next few weeks and can't wait to see everyone!!!
Besos,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment