Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter Break Trip to MALTA!


Even though it has only been 4 weeks since our last trip, for some reason it feels like months.  Maybe it’s because February and March aren’t always the best times in Barcelona – the weather is chilly and it’s the “rainy” season.  So this month has just dragged in my mind.

But this is a good thing because it made me all the more excited for our trip to Malta!!  “Why Malta?” a lot of people have asked us.  Well, why not?  It’s an island, it’s only a 2 hour flight (located just south of Sicily and slightly east of Tunisia) and it has about 7000 years of history.  A trifecta of fun in my mind!  Add that to a hotel chain that we like with a 50% off sale and reasonable flights and it seemed like the perfect place to go to for the kids’ Semana Santa (Easter break).

The only bad part in my mind is that we had to fly.  I think I’ve mentioned this before but I seem to have gotten a bit more anxious as I fly these days.  You would think it would be just the opposite since we fly so often and it’s not like I wasn’t flying for years before we moved to Barcelona too.  But it gets worse and worse with every flight.  I haven’t let it stop me from travelling but regardless I can feel my heart pounding in my throat during takeoff and any little bump of turbulence is enough to have me white knuckle the seat.  Maybe I need meds…

Anyways, I digress… the flight was a bit bumpy, not my cup of tea.  I’m at about minus 10200 in my solitaire game which I only play when I fly.  Can you tell that I just need some kind of repetitive distraction???  But we made it and we made it safely. 

Seriously, you are already trying to take my picture??  I don't think so!!

But I love having my picture taken mommy!!!

Why won't you leave me alone??

I'll keep you company!
 
Malta Airport is pretty small and so it didn’t take long to get our luggage and our car.  We had gotten a really great deal on the car, I think it was less than 100 euros for 5 days… I should have known better.  When the guy at the Thrifty counter said that the car was missing it’s hubcaps because often they get stolen, that should have been a sign.  Go with what you know – and we usually use Sixt.  And let me tell you, I have yet to see another car on this island without hubcaps.  I also think that even when Josh and I bought our first cars, they were nicer than this car.  But it’s getting us from point A to point B and really that’s all that matters.

Our car, minus the hubcaps...

Our hotel, the Corinthia St. George Bay, was, as expected, excellent.  We have a room overlooking the Mediterranean – can’t beat that!  And with our late arrival at 9PM, the kids were super excited to have room service for dinner.  While the dinner was lackluster in my opinion, the trip is off to a good start.  And it doesn’t hurt that tomorrow, Monday, Josh and Aidan are going to swim with dolphins – I can’t wait to see!!!

Besos,
Julie 

No comments:

Post a Comment