Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Well, It's Official...

You thought I was going to tell you where we are moving to didn't you?  Hahaha!!  That's funny! Sorry to drag that one out a bit - now you know how we feel.  But we are having some forward motion which is progress and all I really care about at this point in time.

So this entry is going to be short, more of just a quick update because I feel we really need to chronicle all that's happening in our crazy lives these days as it's a part of the journey.  And this journey has been wild - maybe not every day - but overall.

As you know, we are in the process of figuring out our next steps in our lives.  We know that it will either be back home in Boston or in Amsterdam.  We felt pretty confident that we weren't going to be staying in Barcelona but yet, we've been hesitant to make it official.  Call it Murphy's Law but we figured that if we made it official that we were leaving Barcelona - as in giving notice to school and to our landlord - before we had anything in writing, that something would happen and we would find that yes, in fact, we are staying here.  Kind of ridiculous but at the same time, our lives haven't exactly been on track these days and it wouldn't have surprised me to have that happen.

But today I heard from school.  I've been pushing them off which is unfair.  Down payment on tuition was due at the end of March - we are now into May.  It hasn't been paid yet.  They've made other parents pay to secure their spots and so I totally get it - we need to shit or get off the pot.  So I talked to Josh - the time has come.  We had to make a decision.  It's time to give our notice.  It's official - we are leaving Barcelona.

I emailed school and then emailed our landlord.  I have heard back from school and our landlord and so far so good.  I cried because I can't believe it's real.  I cried because Barcelona has become my home and while it's not "home home", it means moving on and starting over again.  I cried because I know that when the kids know that it's definite, they are going to be upset that they are leaving what they consider to be their home. Yes, they've known it's coming, but telling them it's likely and telling them it's for sure are two different things.  The other night I mentioned it to Aidan and his response "You are ruining my life.  I grew up here.  I love it here.  And I want to live here for the rest of my life!".  Yeah that was a total 180 from where he was a few years ago.  So when I tell him that it's for sure, it's not going to be pretty. 

And I cried because I was relieved.  Yes, I know, relieved.  Because again, this is some forward motion on what is happening in our lives.  We may not have an official destination yet, but we will be moving somewhere in 8 weeks, that much is for sure.  Yes, the countdown is now down to weeks.  There is no pressure there or anything.  Ha!!  But the fact that decisions have been made is a relief.  We know now that our time here is coming to a close and we need to make sure that we enjoy every last moment of it (and absolutely of the weather because no matter where we go, it's not going to be like here!).  

So small steps.  Small steps add up though and eventually, we'll have a plan.  It has to happen... otherwise I'm shipping my stuff to no where in 8 weeks. 

Besos,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment