Sunday, June 22, 2014

Half Past Done

As we enter our last week in Barcelona, I can say it... I'm ready.  I didn't think I was ready before but I keep getting sign after sign that the time has come - our time here is up.  And I'm ready for it to be up. I'm ready to start our new adventures.  I'm ready for our lives to have some semblance of normalcy back to them.  I don't even remember what normal is any more.

It's been 8 very very long months.  Hell it's been a long 4 1/2 years, but it's the last 8 months that have pushed us to the brink.  We've been thru the wringer.  There have been times where I've wondered if our family was going to come out of this whole.  Hell, I was wondering that yesterday as Josh and I had a (much needed) explosive fight.  I think we are both just so far past our breaking points that we just couldn't take it any more.  It's amazing how much better you feel after a good fight though - ready to take on the world.

But then that world thru more at us.  Last night I got an email from our tenant in Attleboro.  A few weeks ago we had termites (which we found when spraying for ants).  Now we apparently have a water leak.  I still don't know what the end result was as I haven't heard back from her regarding what the plumber said.  But it was one of those, yeah, we're moving this week so of course something had to go wrong somewhere.  

What I didn't anticipate was waking up to water in our apartment here in Barcelona this morning.  That was the nail in the coffin.  The fuck you (sorry for my french) moment of ... it's time.  What started off as a little drip, drip, drip this morning, literally was exploding this afternoon after I got home from dropping off the kids.  And unlike in the US, the tenant is responsible for pretty much everything here. So you know who's dime this is?  Yeah, likely mine.  Oh, I'll fight it.  But it won't be pretty.  And it's not something I need to be dealing with right now.  

The whole apartment is in chaos.  Furniture half apart.  Suitcases partially packed.  Not a room doesn't have boxes in it.  I'm ready.  I just want to get the show on the road.  Counting down the days now - only 5 more here in our apartment.  As of Friday we'll be in a hotel and this portion will be done or at least almost done - our landlord will still have one month of our 4 month deposit until the middle of next month.  It won't be til we get all 4 months back (insert crazy lunatic laughter here because that won't happen) that I'll feel like this part is truly behind us.  

Then on Tuesday, July 1 we head off for vacation before going to the States on July 13.  I'm just chunking off the time (not that I want to rush my vacation or my time home) til we get back to "normal".  Apartment.  Hotel.  Cruise.  USA.  Amsterdam.  Almost one down, 4 to go.  We'll get there.  There is a very small light at the end of the tunnel but I can almost see it... we're almost there.

Besos,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment