Friday, July 18, 2014

Adding Insult to Injury

There is no way to truly describe our last 9 months in Barcelona.  Trying.  Frustrating.  Depressing. Scary.  Difficult.  Broken.  I could go on and on.  In the end, it was probably some of the most difficult months of our lives.  Living lives in 2 different countries with no idea of what our future held.  It's a scary prospect when you don't know where you are going to be in a matter of months and how to prepare for the unknown when really, you can't prepare.

But to add insult to injury over the last 9 months, we've had everything that can go wrong has gone wrong.  Now don't get me wrong (ok too many uses of that word in 2 sentences), I totally understand that these are first world problems.  But that doesn't make them any less frustrating when we were already going thru an emotional rollercoaster.  But to just name a few things:

Josh has travelled EVERY SINGLE WEEK since November.  Our household has not been the same without him there.

The furnace went in our Attleboro house... had to be replaced.

Our tenant in Attleboro contacted us about some carpenter ants.  Turns out when I had the house sprayed they also found we had termites... also had to replace the dishwasher.

There was a taxi strike as the kids and I tried to get back from our house hunt in Amsterdam.

Not to mention the week we were leaving our apartment, the hot water heater decided to explode with water shooting out of the top leaving us with no hot water for a good 4 days.

By the time we left Barcelona we did not have a signed contract on where we would be living in Barcelona.

And the straw that broke the camel's back - as we were finally getting ready to leave Barcelona, my computer hard drive crashed - 10 years of work... gone.  As I write this on July 18, I'm still in recovery mode.  And I'm still hoping that I will, in fact, be able to recover everything.

So while none of this is life threatening stuff, it just kept piling up.  And we just kept plowing ahead because what else can you do?  It was like at every turn something new was breaking or going wrong.

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel...hopefully.  The kids and I are in the States now, Josh in Amsterdam.  In just about 4 weeks, we'll all be together again on a weekly basis for the first time in over 9 months.

Anyways, this was just a quick rant as I work on getting my blog posts back up to date!!

Besos,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment