Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Distance

This is a post that I actually wrote a few weeks ago and forgot to post so the time stamp should actually be from September... 

Many days I don't feel all that far away from home.  After all with technology I can reconnect pretty easily and quickly - Facebook, Skype, email - have all been my bridge to home and makes me feel connected with everyone there.  However, there are times when technology can't help just how far away we are.

Over the last year and 9 months we've had times where the distance feels like eons away.  Where it makes us feel separated from friends and family and quite honestly, we feel helpless.  This week is a good example.  One of my closest friends from home lost her dad this week.  I knew her dad and adored him.  More than anything I'd like to be there for her and support her beyond a phone call or an email.  A few weeks ago another friend lost his dad - same thing... technology just isn't enough.

Often times it's moments like those that technology can't help me.  Where I feel helpless to be there to support our friends and family.  Last year Josh and I lost a dear friend of ours and with the cost of last minute flights and the time/distance, we couldn't make it back in time for his funeral.  It was heartbreaking.  We've had family with health issues that thankfully have passed but we weren't able to be there when we wanted to be there to support them, not an easy thing.  Another of my closest friends suffered from a brain AVM and the first thing I wanted to do was hop on a plane to go home to support her and her family. 

When we talked about moving here, one of my biggest concerns was the distance in the case of an emergency.  We rationalized that they were unlikely to happen and if so, not to happen often in just 2 years.  Well we are here for 3 1/2 years and unfortunately we've had at least a few times where the distance is almost unbearable. 
So how to deal with it?  I guess it's just one of those things that becomes a chance you take by moving away.  We could have moved to California and been just about as far away as we are now.  Do you not leave the nest because there is a risk of something that could happen at home?  Or do you just hope for the best and decide that it is your life and that you need to live that life rather than stay home and wait for the what if in life? 

But regardless of how far away we are, I just hope everyone knows how much we love them, miss them and will support you as best that we can, even from half a world away! 

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment