Saturday, February 11, 2012

BFIS Carnaval 2012

Yes, it's that time of year again... Carnaval.  It's hard to believe it's our third one here (and I have yet to make it to an actual Carnaval parade beyond the school).  Each of the elementary school grades tends to keep the same theme year to year so as I watched the parade on Friday, I couldn't help but think back to when Aidan was just starting out at BFIS, dressed up as Franklin the Turtle with the other kindergarten kids.  And next year, that will be Liam.  Time flies!
Also a tradition at BFIS for the Carnaval parade is the Batucada, a samba style band that comes down from Girona year after year.  It's honestly one of my favorite parts of the parade.  As you know, I love those drums!!   To be honest, as cute as this parade is, it's not my favorite of the festivals the school puts on.  Watching the kids make two laps of the patio is far from exciting or even entertaining.  So it's nice that they add in the batucada to spice things up a little bit.  For video of the Batucada and the opening ceremony, click here:  http://youtu.be/3VD3dQ2sBL4

Liam's class dressed up as lions and they were absolutely adorable as they did their rounds of the patio. Liam was a social butterfly as expected and waved to the crowd and to all of Aidan's class. But then, this kid is meant for the stage as we learned this past summer.

For Liam's click here: http://youtu.be/kwc9-lN9EdA

Liam is in the back on the right in the orange jacket

Liam's class getting ready to make their rounds

Aidan's 2nd grade class dressed up as characters from books who go on a journey. Aidan chose to go as Jack from the Magic Tree House book. I was thrilled because I'm not the most creative person and I was a bit daunted by the idea that I might have to (gulp) make a costume. Whew, saved on that one!! However, trying to find a pair of red rimmed glasses was a challenge in and of itself and it took me a good 4 days to find them. But 13 euros later, we are the proud owners of some slightly large reading glasses that did the job.
Aidan in his "costume" - Jack from the Magic Treehouse books

Some of the boys from 2nd grade

2nd grade boys

 For Aidan's, click here:  http://youtu.be/FR70OdEstHg

Aidan waving to me... 

Aidan's class getting ready to make their rounds

The highlight of the parade was the 4th grade. They did a performance instead of just walking around the patio. They danced to LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem. I didn't take any video, though I should have, but if you don't know the song, check it out on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8&ob=av2e. The kids were dancing and even break dancing just like in the video, complete with someone wearing a paper box on their head. It was absolutely awesome!! 

Some 4th grade breakdancing

Dancing to LMFAO

The parade ended with one more batucada performance and all in all, I have to say, it was the best Carnaval I've seen the school put on thus far. Aidan is now considering staying thru 4th grade so he can be a part of the dancing group (though I've told him it will be a different song by then since he said he won't be the one doing a split). We shall see!!! 


More of the batucada

And one last shot... 

Besos,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment