Monday, January 11, 2010

Lazy Sunday...

Went to Milk today - it's a cute place owned by an Irish couple that's supposed to have an amazing American breakfast. Nice little restaurant – about 15 tables. Very cozy. Waited at the bar for a table – we were next in line and 20 mins went by with no one getting up (very Spanish of them) – finally asked if we could all sit at the bar. Apparently ok for kids to sit at the bar. Smoking is also ok (gross). Brunch was good overall – Josh liked his salmon and eggs benedict, though I found my blueberry pancakes a little rubbery and tasteless. However they made up for it with the banana and nutella crepe.


Took a little schmooze thru Born district which is the area Milk is in. A lot of little alleys with cobblestone walks. Pretty during the day but while there are lights I’d be a little apprehensive at night. Apparently it is one of the older areas of the city.

Got my printer hooked up – will be a great thing to start work again!

Aidan starts school tomorrow. I started having nightmares about it last night. He’s been attending school in some way shape or form since he was in daycare at 10 months old. So I don’t know why I’m so apprehensive. Oh I know! Because I don’t know how to get there using public transit! I will likely take him by cab in the AM just to expedite things – don’t want to be late on his first day. And we have arranged for bus service for him (we had to negotiate the drop off because apparently the other child at this stop doesn’t need an afternoon drop off – but ok, you made the morning stop for this kid so can’t you make an afternoon stop in the same place for Aidan???). However, the bus service won’t necessarily start right away for him. That’s what I need to find out tomorrow. I’m also nervous because none of us (other than Josh) has been up before 8 yet for some reason. Very unlike us. But Aidan and I need to be out the door early tomorrow – like 7:50 (still late for us normally but early for Spain).

At bedtime Aidan expressed his first ambivalence towards school. He has obviously been paying more attention to the people around us than we thought. He was very concerned that he couldn’t speak the language at school and how would he communicate. I assured him that they speak English at his school and while he will take a class in Spanish each day, his day would mostly comprise of learning in English. This is also the first time he has told us how much he misses his friends at home. I think that now that it’s been a week, the reality of the duration of our stay is starting to set in with Aidan. While he certainly does not get 2 years and how long that is, he’s now understanding that this is a long term deal. I told him that we can write home to his friends this week. It will give me a new goal – finding the post office!!!

More coming soon on Aidan's first day...

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment