Sunday, December 27, 2009

The goodbyes begin...

Two days ago was Christmas.  One of my favorite times of year.  To me there is no holiday more steeped in tradition than Christmas.  I could do without the cold weather but I also look forward to a white Christmas each year (or the hope of one).  I think the traditions are some of the things we will miss the most about being home, especially this time of year.  We do a lot as a family and as a neighborhood. 

My family doesn't really celebrate Christmas as we were raised more Jewish than Catholic (though we didn't attend Temple or Church) but they still let me embrace this holiday without guilt :) and I appreciate that.  Because to me, personally, this holiday isn't about Christ or anything religious, but it's always been about family, friends, and a time to reflect on the past year.  So we don't celebrate Christmas on Christmas with my family, we usually do it whenever our schedules permit sometime between Thanksgiving and New Years.  It's become a tradition itself that we just celebrate it sometme in there.  We do the stereotypical chinese food to celebrate our Christmaka.  Because we were still a few weeks away from our departure date, I did pretty good with my goodbyes after we opened gifts - mainly because I knew I had at least one more time to see my family before I leave.  Today I saw my brother and his girlfriend when we went to drop off the kids so we can go out with friends tonight.  I'm going to miss them so much and hope they will come and visit.  Jay actually may need to come for work in January (he works with Josh for those that don't know) which would be great.  I know that when I see my family for the last time (for a while), it's going to be heart wrenching... and I'm sure I'll have an update on that when it happens.

My dad comes over on Christmas morning to help the kids unwrap their gifts.  Another tradition that I look forward to.  My mom always works on Christmas and my brother doesn't really celebrate it but it's my dad's holiday having been brought up in a Lutheran home.  So we do our best to include him with our celebration.  It's also nice to have someone help us with those damn little ties on the boxes ;).  Just kidding Dad - we love having you over!!

After we open gifts here, we head down to the Cape to Josh's family.  We have traditions there as well - potato pancakes (yum!), open gifts, a nice roast for dinner and then a challenging game of trivial pursuit.  The game is usually more between Aunt Ellen and Josh's dad because really, they are the ones with the most random knowledge of stuff.  But we all try to participate.  But as the night drew to a close, I could feel a lump in my throat starting.  This was it.  Josh's parents were leaving for vacation this week and this is the last time we are going to see them.  With tears in my eyes, I told Aidan to make sure he hugged his Granny and Papa extra tight because it's going to be a long time before he sees them again.  I could feel the tears start streaming down my cheek - Josh's parents spend a lot of time with the kids and as much as they have supported us in this new adventure, I'm sure they are sad to see us (ok, more the kids than us) go.  We know they will visit but this was our first goodbye of what we know will be many in the coming week.  If I'm already teary on the first one, how am I going to be on the last one?  Josh may need to drag me on to that plane at this rate. 

Your family will always be your family and we love them dearly so please family, don't take this next part to mean that you don't mean the world to us, because you do.  We wouldn't be who we are today without you.  Your love and support has made us into the people we are today, about to embark on this worldly adventure.  We love you so much!!!


We celebrate Christmas as a neighborhood too - we have luminaries every year that all of our friends participate in.  It's so beautiful seeing the streets in our neighborhood lit up for the holiday. 

And also seeing everyone come together to do a project like this.  We make cookies with all the kids together to leave for Santa.  We have chinese food on Christmas eve and the kids do a gift exchange.  This neighborhood is also my family.  My family that I will miss just as much as my blood family.  They have become the people I call night or day if I have a sick child or need a ride somewhere or just want to chat.  They are the people that I call when I have something funny to say or a sad story to share.  They are the friends that in the summertime we will hang out with til the sun goes down as the kids play in the yards and the street.  That we have bonfires with.  That we do cookouts with.  That we have girls / boys weekends with a few times a year. 


They are the parents of our childrens' best friends.   When I get a chance to go out, often times it's with my girls... and Josh has boys night every Thursday night in Dave's garage - I know he's going to miss that.  And I know the kids will miss their friends.  But I know that all of you will Skype with us too, right??? 

Last night we went out with these friends and we said many goodbyes. I had my tissues on me but surprisingly didn't need them because it was all about celebrating - celebrating our friendship and this adventure Josh and I are about to embark on.  We had so much fun, my body hurts this morning.  These are the most wonderful friends that Josh and I could have.  I didn't get a chance to do a toast last night so I want to let them know some things - You were our friends when we first moved here - when it was just Josh and I...no dogs, no kids, no marriage for that matter!  You were our friends when we got engaged, when we got Jake, when we got married, got Sailor and then when the kids arrived.  You were the friends that I was pregnant with (both times).  You've been the friends that I call when I need a quick favor, or someone to hang out with, or even just to say hi.  Good news or bad news... you are who I call.  You have been my support system for the last however many years.  And without you, I'm scared.  I know you will stand by me and be there to support me, but you won't be THERE but yet you will be here in my heart and in my thoughts, every day.  I am so lucky to have friends like you and knowing I have friends like you to come back to makes this process just a little bit easier.  Thank you for being you and for being my friend. 

Now I must finish my packing, the movers come tomorrow to take our final shipment.  My parents are on their way to pick up the kids and spend some time with them.  Today may be our final goodbye with them as well - I will most definitely need tissues for that...

Til then...

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment