Sunday, July 8, 2012

Happy Birthday America!!

Aside from the cheaper airfare, one of the reasons we come home at the end of June is so that we can spend the 4th of July here in the States.  Sure we have lots of holidays here but to me, that is the epitome of Americana.  Red, white and blue flags and banners everywhere.  People showing their pride in being American can be seen everywhere.  And while I've never been all rah rah American this or that, I'm always proud of where I've come from and celebrating on the 4th is a great reminder. 

We drove up from Connecticut on the morning of the 4th and made a quick pit stop at my parents' house to change over our clothes in our backpacks.  It's damn hard living out of a suitcase/backpack for weeks at a time.  Though it admittedly makes it a little easier to go back after those few weeks because even the kids get tired of it! 

Regardless, after stopping at my parents' and the grocery store (which of course, god bless America, was open on a holiday - take note of this my Spanish friends), we drove over to our neighborhood in Attleboro for our annual party at the Anastasia's... aka Aidan's girlfriend's house (don't tell him I said that, he'll be furious!!!). 

With tons of food, some of our closest friends and the pool, you just can't go wrong.  Liam spent a chunk of his day in the hot tub which is his preference regardless of the 90 degree weather.  Aidan was in the pool almost the entire day - I don't know he possibly didn't pass out that night from exhaustion!!  I even played my first game of horseshoes which admittedly I will not be winning any awards for any time soon.  However, given Dennis lost one of the horseshoes in a tree, I did do better than he did :)  The day absolutely flew by and before we knew it, it was dark and time to light the bonfire.  Unfortunately there are no good pictures of the bonfire since it was just a bit too dark for my camera. 
Aidan and his friends taking a break from swimming

Mommy can we get Sun Chips in Barcelona??  Nope...sorry Liam - enjoy them while you can!

Liam and Aaron spent the better part of their day in the hot tub

The little kids...

Big kids playing volleyball

Aidan had a great time playing volleyball with his friends

Time for the big kids to have a turn!

And the adults join in with the volleyball

Ok, some join in...others (ahem, Rich) float and drink ;)


Does anyone see something wrong with this picture???

Not quite ready to make the transition from hot tub to big pool

Trouble


Horseshoes

Pretty sure the horseshoe is not supposed to be in the tree... but then I could be wrong...

Me attempting to play horseshoes... I'm not very good...

Roasting marshmallows over the bonfire...

While most people headed home around 9 or 10, a few of the guys (shocker) came back to hang out by the fire and the hot tub for a few more hours. Michele and I joined them for most of the night and headed in just before 1.  I loved just relaxing and chatting in the hot tub with the stars above us (you can't see many stars in Barcelona) - I even saw a shooting star!!!  Amazingly the kids were still up when we went inside!! Aidan, Liam, Lindsey and Ashley were having a co-ed slumber party and apparently still up talking!! Not surprisingly they slept in pretty late the next morning. Liam blamed everyone else for talking and keeping him up (Liam being the biggest chatterbox I know... sure, Liam, I believe you...).

All in all, it was the perfect way to celebrate America's birthday!!!

Besos,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment